Monday, January 16, 2012

My New Year's Resolution is Going to be.....


“Sad for the moments that I will cherish forever are but distant memories. Good bye 2011. There is no whooping and hollering this year just thankfulness. May you find something bright in each day. Happy New Year! Hugs & love, Lorenda”

Why is it that you cannot go into a store after the holidays without being bombarded with storage solutions to problems you didn’t even know you had and how to become the thinner new you.  First of all I have no storage space so your cute colored coordinating storage bins are not really going to help me. Now if you can add a room or two onto the house then my problems will be solved. Second, I like myself the way I am. Oh, my waist is not as small as it used to be and there are more gray hairs then there used to be but I am ok with that.  What I need to change about myself is not going to be found in a store.

I don't think this is going to fix what is wrong with me either, but is sure tastes good!
 It seems odd to me that people are always making New Year’s resolutions to be thinner, happier, more successful, etc. I am the person I am because of the choices I have made. Now those choices that I have made may not have been the best but hindsight is always so much more clear. Last year I have made some great choices and I am happy about them. I like to look back at the year and see how much I have grown (and I don’t mean in my waist size either).
At the beginning of each year I get excited about all of the adventures that are going to come my way. I know not all of them are going to be fun or easy but I will learn something new about myself I am sure. I look forward to the many opportunities that are going to come my way and I am going to try harder at not talking myself out of them.  I guess you could say that is my New Year’s resolution I make every year.  This year I have lots of things planned but am looking forward to wherever I end up because I have faith I know it will be a good place.
As a mom I get sad about time passing because of course that means my children are growing up. Our oldest is going to be a teenager this year and the babies, well I guess they are not babies anymore they are going to be nine. This year I have seen them grow in so many ways and only hope that I can be just like them when I grow up. I am amazed everyday at what my children teach me, got to love God’s little messengers. Don’t get me wrong they make me crazy and there are days I want them to send me to my room, but I wouldn’t change a thing about any of them.
This is Spanoodi. She is just the cutest, but not always the sweetest.
As a wife I hug my husband a little tighter than I used to because each year he makes me love him so much more. He has been right there by my side during this adventure called parenthood and I couldn’t imagine a better person to call my partner, friend and husband.  I look forward to the year ahead and the many journeys we will take together.
This is Olivander also known as Olie.
Although I don’t usually make New Year’s resolutions this year I am going to make an exception. I have decided that I am going to do something for someone else. Now, I generally don’t like to invade the privacy of others but again I am going to make an exception this year. I have two loved ones that are let’s say getting a little too “fluffy”. So,  my New Year’s resolution is going to be…(insert a drum roll here please)…a diet for my two kitties because I really love them and want to do my best to take care of them so that they will be around to be a part of the adventures.
So, while my cats were asleep and not stalking me in the kitchen for food, I made my first Key Lime Pie. I had one a few years ago for the first time and decided to try my hand at one. This is a simple recipe but I have to be honest that I will never and I mean NEVER make another one until I get one of those little citrus juice press thingies. I usually don’t like kitchen gadgets that are good for only one thing but my hand was so sore after juicing all of those little…..(sorry I had to sensor that).
Since, I don’t have one of those nice little tools after juicing about ten key limes and having nowhere near the 2/3 cup of lime juice that I needed, I decided there has got to be an easier way. I started rummaging through my kitchen drawers and found my garlic press. I have not used it in ages and almost threw it out last week when I was cleaning out the drawers. I go through my drawers at the beginning of each year and get rid of things that I don’t use any longer, others go through their clothes I go through my kitchen. I was amazed that it worked! My hands were a bit sore but having tendonitis it is to be expected. 
I really need to get one of these!
I love this recipe but would reduce the amount of lime juice a bit the next time. Now the recipe for the graham cracker crust will give you enough to make about three crusts.  I toss the extra in the fridge I know I will be using it and soon, there is a chocolate pie in my future(shhhh…don’t tell anyone).  I was surprised at how easy this pie was (except for the juicing part, it honestly sucked) and look forward to making it again. I just love how fresh limes taste, makes me think of spring or is it yearn?
I really hope you try the pie and look forward to our journey together in 2012. May it be full of bright moments that will become memories cherished. Happy New Year’s y’all! Love ‘n’ hugs….

It's sweet and tart, got to love it!


Key Lime Pie

·         3/4 pound graham crackers
·         4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
·         2 sticks melted butter
·         1/4 tsp. sea salt
·         4 egg yolks
·         1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
·         2/3 cup fresh Key lime juice (I found less is better with the juice and zest)
·         1 lime , grated zest
·         1 cup heavy or whipping cream , chilled
·         2 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar
·         1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 325°.

Break up the graham crackers, place in a food processor and process to crumbs or if you are like me and food processor poor just get out a zipper freezer bag and crush away. Add the melted butter, sugar and salt and pulse until combined or just mix it up in a bowl. This recipe makes enough for about three crusts. Press a third the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan, forming an even layer on the bottom, sides and edge. Bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool.

While the crust is cooling, whip the egg yolks and lime zest until fluffy, at high speed with your hand mixer 5 to 6 minutes or get the whisk out and hope your arm holds up. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to whip until thick, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice until incorporated. I must confess here that I don’t like tart flavors, I felt a little less juice and zest and there would have been a better balance of flavors.  I tried to use my Kitchenaid stand mixer with the wire whisk attachment, but there just was not enough in the bowl for the whisk to really do anything with.

Pour the mixture into the crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until the filling has just set. Cool on a wire rack, and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Whip the cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until nearly stiff. Evenly spread the whipped cream on top of the pie, and place in the freezer for 20 minutes prior to serving.
I found this recipe on line, there are a lot out there that are very similar. If you want to see more of this recipe check it out.

Read more:
http://www.oprah.com/food/Mar-a-Lago-Key-Lime-Pie-Recipe#ixzz1jSTudAOs

2 comments: