Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I Think Ginger is Going to Snap!

A few weeks ago I was doing what every mom does looking for something different to make for the kids lunch boxes. I was tired of the same old things, week after week. It was getting monotonous! Then I stumbled across a recipe for a cookie that I had been traumatized by as a kid, ginger snaps.
I thought who in their right mind would ever want to make those things. They are hard, really hard! A box would have tasted better and been softer. Ugh! They are awful! Did I mention they were really hard? These cookies did not bring back fond memories. These were the cookies that would stay in the back of the cupboard and only when there were no other alternatives for a snack would they be eaten.

All I need now is a cup of tea.

My husband had brought home some organic ginger snaps a while back. I reluctantly tried them, putting aside my childhood memories. These could not be the same cookie. These were soft and had the most delicate ginger taste. They were amazing! Could I really bake a cookie to compare?
I decided to give it a try. I was a little unsure of all of the ground cinnamon and cloves most recipes call for.  I didn’t want an overly spiced cookie. I wanted more of a delicate ginger flavor. The recipe I decided to go with is good just the way it is and can easily be adjusted. I usually cut back on the cinnamon and cloves for more of a lighter ginger flavor. I also make them a bit smaller, I use about a teaspoon of dough per cookie. 
These cookies will definitely snap if you want them too that’s for sure. If you want them crispy add a minute or so to the cooking time. I prefer them softer, I don’t like my gums shredded so I start checking them about a minute or two before the timer goes off. These cookies will harden as they sit so don’t be fooled by their softness when they come out of the oven.
I can remember coming home from school as a kid and after homework I would get a snack and watch television. I would always watch Gilligan’s Island in the afternoon while eating my snack. I was always impressed with how Ginger always looked perfect. She was so girly, how did she do it with no electricity?  I remember thinking every time I watched that show when is Ginger going to snap?
One of my sisters has been asking for my recipe and I have not had time to pass it on. So, my sister here it finally is, thanks for being so patient now you know why. Let me know what you all think of it and if you make any changes. Love ‘n’ hugs!


Ginger Snaps

1 cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil, molasses, and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon and ginger; stir into the molasses mixture.  Roll dough into balls and roll each ball in sugar before placing about two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in a preheated oven or until center is firm. Cool on wire racks, good luck trying not to sneak one!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you . The valdez family enjoyed them Christmas eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm make some Ginger Snaps right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this recipe, especially since you don't have to worry about having butter at room temperature. I am always forgetting to take out the butter to warm up. This recipe is so simple and you most likely already have the ingredients in your pantry already. Glad you tried them a second time.

    ReplyDelete